Below you can find the main sections of this blog post. We not only explained why 180 is the most important score in darts but also listed professional players’ achievements, like who scored the most 180s in a match ever, who made the highest points score, and more.
By the end of the blog post, you will know the best professional darts players and what makes them fans favourite. We also added several darts records listed in the Guinness Book of World Records and answered several interesting questions regarding the game.
What Is 180 in Darts?
Every darts player dreams of getting the most 180s in a match, in a tournament, and even to break a world record. The coveted 180 score is the maximum possible with 3 darts. It provides players with quickest route to victory. Here are the different versions of the highest possible scores:
|Scores||Combinations to Get the Highest Darts Scores|
|Top 180||3x Triple 20|
|Score 171||3x Tripple 19|
|Score 167||3x Triple 20 (60), 3x Triple 19 (57), and Bullseye (50)|
|Score 150||3x Bullseye|
|Score 141||Triple 20 (60) + Triple 19 (57) + Double 12 (24)
Triple 20 (60) + Triple 15 (45) + Double 18 (36)
Triple 17 (51) + Triple 18 (54) + Double 18 (36)
All those combinations of the highest possible scores can be seen in real games. Fans of this sport even bet on it at the best darts betting sites for 2023. If you are lucky, you will see with your eyes how a player scores the most 180s in a match ever with no more than nine throws.
180 Score Records in Darts History (So Far)
The current technologies and the TV broadcasted darts tournaments allow many game fans to witness how players make history and break records. Seeing a player scores the most 180 in a darts match ever is a chance of a lifetime, but here are a few other 180 scores to be admired:
- Most 180s in a Match: between December 2022 – January 2023 PDC World Darts Championship’s highest number of 180s scored by Michael Smith and Michael Van Gerwen is 901. This achievement is so great that it is also the most 180s in a match ever in the history of darts. It also breaks the record for the most 180s in a world championship match.
- Most 180 in a Darts Match Ever: in the 2016 PDC World Championship, Adrian Lewis and Gary Anderson scored 34 x 180s.
- Most 180s in a Match by One Player: in 2022, Michael Smith scored 180s a full 83 times in a single tournament.
- Most Combined 180s in a Match: in the 2017 PDC World Championship finals, the finalists scored a total of 42 180s – Gary Anderson had 22, and Michael van Gerwen had 20.
- Most 180s Scored in a Professional Darts Corporation Final: 22 times by Gary Anderson vs Michael van Gerwen in 2017.
- What’s the Most 180s in a Darts Match: 24 in 2022 during the Peter Wright vs Michael Smith match.
- Most 180s in a 7-Set Match: 31 180s total in the PDC World Darts Championship (December 2022) scored by Ross (19) and Dirk van Duijenbode (12 and a last-leg decider)
- Most 180s Scored by a Player in a PDC World Championship: 64 by Gary Anderson between December 2014 to 4th January 2015.
- Most 180s in a Premier League Darts Match: three matches with the same score of 11 – Gary Anderson vs Simon Whitlock (April 2011), José de Sousa vs Nathan Aspinall (April 2021), and Joe Cullen vs Jonny Clayton (June 2022).
The dozens of sports channels allow us all to see who scores most 180s in a world championship match this year or in the previous competitions. If you like wagering, you can even place a bet on a match winner, score or even tournament champion at the best UK sports betting sites.
Records Broken by Registered & Pro Darts Players
It is challenging to rank all achievements without mentioning the same name multiple times because, in most cases, the categories overlap. For example, scoring the most 180 in a darts match ever was a personal achievement for the players.
Highest Scores and Greatest Achievements
The registered darts players break many individual records, like the record for most 180s in a match. Besides the winning factor, many personal achievements enhance a player’s fame. In the name of fair play, we listed the players in alphabetical order:
- Corrie Hammond: most darts to win a leg – 43 darts at BDO women WPDC
- Fallon Sherrock: first woman scoring a nine-dart leg (PDC event)
- James Wade: most bullseyes hit in 1 min – 15 bullseye (23rd September 2016)
- John Lowe: scored the ‘perfect’ leg – 6 x Treble 20, Treble 17, Treble 18, and Double 18 in October 1984
- Matthew Prouse: bullseye hit from furthest distance – 6 meters (30th April 2017)
- Michael van Gerwen: longest streak of 100+ averages – a total of 19 matches between 2016–2019.
- Paul Lim: first PDC World Championship nine-dart finish in a match vs Jack McKenna on 9th January 1990.
- Phil ‘the Power’ Taylor: most darts World Championship wins – 16 titles – 2 with the WDO and 14 with the PDC.
As you can see, the competitions offer more excitement than just observing how the score shows who gets the most 180s in a world championship match or the most 180s in a match by one player. Great attention is placed on players’ age and personality because sometimes they are essential to victory.
Darts Players’ Age & Longevity Achievements
So far, there are 660+ WDF and 680+ PDPA registered players who appear at domestic and international championships covered by the top online casino and sports betting sites. They all draw attention with skills, personal life, and character.
- Beau Greave: was 18 years and 91 days old when he won WDF World Championship in 2022
- Billy O’Brien: international darts player with the longest career, spanning 34 years (September 1968 to June 2002)
- Deta Hedman: at 61 years and 35 days (in 2020) is the first black woman and the oldest woman to debut at the PDC World Darts Championship. At that time, she already had 215 titles to her name
- George Harness: at 98 years and 346 days (in 2016) is the oldest competitive darts player
- Jelle Klassen: at 21 years and 121 days (2006) becoming the youngest BDO Darts World Champion
- Michael van Gerwen: became the youngest winner of the PDC World Championship in 2014 at the age of 24 and 255 days.
- Nick Stoekenbroek: a 12-year-old boy was the youngest player in a 2002 Dutch darts tournament
- Paul Lim: at the age of 67 in 2022, he was also the oldest player in BDO and PDC World Championship.
It is clear that all those darts players have left their mark, and many of them still write history. Remember, this is a short list, so don’t worry if you can’t see your favourite player’s name.
Darts in the Guinness Book of World Records
Since darts also falls into the ‘bar game’ and ‘friendly games’ categories, it is often played over a pint of beer. You may even see a listing of local players’ most 180s in a match’ listing hanging on the wall of the local pub or hear stories about funny bets.
The social side and availability of the game are reasons why there are darts entries in the Guinness Book of World Records organised by the Guinness Beer. We picked a few of the most interesting darts records you can try to beat:
- Highest Darts Score in 24 Hours by a Pair: Oliver Ladbrooke-Davies and Daniel Thomas reached 417,765 on 21-22 January 2022, which became the first successful attempt of this record.
- Highest Darts Score in 24 Hours by One Player: Kenny Fellowes scored 567,145 on 28-29 September 1996.
- Highest Darts Score in 1 Minute by One Player: Michael Van Gerwen scored 644 on 18 November 2020.
- Furthest Distance to Throw a Bullseye in Darts: Paul Webber scored 7.0104 m (23 ft.) away from the dartboard on 17th July 2021.
- Longest Marathon Darts Playing Singles: Kevin Bryan and James Hoult played for 58 hr 48 min 18 sec from 3 to 5th July 2019
- Longest Marathon Darts Playing Doubles: Kevin Bryan, James Hoult, Dave Sloan, and Bradley Cave played for 60 hours from 15 to 17th June 2022.
Many people, not only professional darts players, put daily efforts into breaking darts-related records. Anyone can participate in the Guinness World Records competitions and be the next to score the most 180s in a match ever. We might see your name if you are good at hitting the target.
Everyone else can keep playing darts in bars with friends. The game allows wagering and playing for fun, but be careful because the competitive spirit may push you to the extreme. Avoid worst lost bets and throw the darts for fun and pride.
If you ever wished to learn who scored the 180s in a match, this is the right spot. We picked some of the popular questions about 180 scores in darts and answered them. If the brief information is insufficient, follow the links to the relevant parts of the blog post.